- Netflix: What Happens When You Press Play? - Very interesting article about how big services manage to handle massive popularity and being top3 video streaming platforms. Semi-technical, but very well narrated. Some notes taken (all are quatations)
- Netflix plays more than 1 billion hours of video each week. As a comparison, YouTube streams 1 billion hours of video every day while Facebook streams 110 million hours of video every day.
- Netflix uses two different clouds: AWS and Open Connect.
- Netflix launched in 1998. At first they rented DVDs through the US Postal Service.
- Netflix uses both DynamoDB and Cassandra
- …the image shown for each video is selected specifically for you. Not everyone sees the same image.”
- Remember, Netflix records and counts everything you do on their site. This is actualy good, cuz it can learn what you like and suggest you content more precisly.
- Performance Considerations for EF 4, 5, and 6 - found on Entity Framework – improve query performance – potential problems